HIROSHIGE AND VAN GOGH

HIROSHIGE AND VAN GOGH
Read About Van Gogh's Secret Visit to Japan

WELCOME TO BLOGABOUTJAPAN

WELCOME TO BLOGABOUTJAPAN
IT WAS A SPECIAL TIME IN MY LIFETIME

APT WITH TATAMI MATS, a special time in my lifetime in Japan...

APT WITH TATAMI MATS, a special time in my lifetime in Japan...
Watercolor by R.L.Huffstutter

COMPARISONS IN ART

COMPARISONS IN ART
HIROSHIGE'S WORK ON LEFT, VAN GOGH'S ON RIGHT

YOKOHAMA PICTURE SHOW

YOKOHAMA PICTURE SHOW
Shot with my Petri in Yokohama 1962

RICE FIELD IN JAPAN 1962

RICE FIELD IN JAPAN 1962
I took this with my PETRI in Kanagawa Prefecture

Sunday, November 22, 2009

HOTEL IN MOTOMACHI 1963

BECAUSE I HAVE SO MANY IMAGES OF JAPAN AND THE PAST in my phototstream, I have had some friends suggest I return to Yokoham and go ambling about in all of my old haunts. Thanks, but no thanks; I have learned that the old adage "the more things change, the more they remain the same" is a tragic myth. It's impossible to go back, at least for me.

The error in this train of thought is that although there might be a few of the old haunts left, they would not be the same: those that were there, those who made the tour such a beautiful and romantic interlude would be absent. There is this matter of aging in the flesh; there is this matter of how quickly youth is spent.

There is the reality of the wrinkles that replace the rosy and sanguine cheeks and lips, the lustre of the hair and the light of hope in youthful eyes. No, there is no way to go back...

No comments: