HIROSHIGE AND VAN GOGH

HIROSHIGE AND VAN GOGH
Read About Van Gogh's Secret Visit to Japan

WELCOME TO BLOGABOUTJAPAN

WELCOME TO BLOGABOUTJAPAN
IT WAS A SPECIAL TIME IN MY LIFETIME

APT WITH TATAMI MATS, a special time in my lifetime in Japan...

APT WITH TATAMI MATS, a special time in my lifetime in Japan...
Watercolor by R.L.Huffstutter

COMPARISONS IN ART

COMPARISONS IN ART
HIROSHIGE'S WORK ON LEFT, VAN GOGH'S ON RIGHT

YOKOHAMA PICTURE SHOW

YOKOHAMA PICTURE SHOW
Shot with my Petri in Yokohama 1962

RICE FIELD IN JAPAN 1962

RICE FIELD IN JAPAN 1962
I took this with my PETRI in Kanagawa Prefecture

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

When I recall my time spent in Japan in the early 60s, the Crown Prince and his beautiful bride Micheko were on the covers of almost every magazine and newspaper I came across. He was a handsome young man and his wife was beautiful and the first "commoner" to ever have been married in the Royal family.

I found the public fascination with the young couple most unique. I can think of no better way to describe the romance. But the 60s were the romantic years of the last century. Ask anyone my age and they will agree. Having been born in the early 40s, I knew all about World War Two.

Afterall, I had seen John Wayne in "Sands of Iwo Jima" at least a dozen times by the time I arrived in Japan. I had also seen various versions of Madame Butterfly. Even before I arrived in Japan, the aria from the opera gave me goosebumps. Had Puccini written this opera for my girlfriend and me?

I ramble on, but when one is almost 70, they have earned the right to ramble.

No comments: