HIROSHIGE AND VAN GOGH

HIROSHIGE AND VAN GOGH
Read About Van Gogh's Secret Visit to Japan

WELCOME TO BLOGABOUTJAPAN

WELCOME TO BLOGABOUTJAPAN
IT WAS A SPECIAL TIME IN MY LIFETIME

APT WITH TATAMI MATS, a special time in my lifetime in Japan...

APT WITH TATAMI MATS, a special time in my lifetime in Japan...
Watercolor by R.L.Huffstutter

COMPARISONS IN ART

COMPARISONS IN ART
HIROSHIGE'S WORK ON LEFT, VAN GOGH'S ON RIGHT

YOKOHAMA PICTURE SHOW

YOKOHAMA PICTURE SHOW
Shot with my Petri in Yokohama 1962

RICE FIELD IN JAPAN 1962

RICE FIELD IN JAPAN 1962
I took this with my PETRI in Kanagawa Prefecture

Friday, September 23, 2011

BAMBOO AND LANTERN 1963

A SHORT ESSAY ON REMEMBERING THE RED LANTERNS OF JAPAN By Robert L. Huffstutter

These lanterns fascinated me since childhood and might have been one of the reasons I always wanted to go to Japan.

Not one who read these strange characters as a youth, I found them curious.* Curiousity has always been a factor in the many adventures I enjoyed beginning as soon as I learned to ride a bike. But I ramble off the subject of the oriental lantern.

In a nutshell, it is safe to say that this red lantern has been the downfall of many who have wondered the alleyways of Yokohama and Tokyo in the dark of night. However, I never had an alarming experience at such establishments. Those inside were mostly Japanese gentlemen who found my surprising entry into their domain humorous, thus they treated me to sake and told me tales about their time in the Great Pacific War. Most could not speak English, but there always seemed to be one or two who could speak English fluently.

I will forever remember such kindness--and such forgiveness for our merciless bombing of such a beautiful country. Nor did I ever detect the hint of any resentment toward me among these men who fought so hard for their Emperor but had such a love of life that they did not fight unto death.

On more than one occasion, I found myself waking in a nearby inn, having been deposited there in the early hours by concerned veterans of the Japanese Imperial Army or Navy. Yes, it might sound like fantasy, but such was the character of the Japanese in the early 1960s.

* I am still unable to read these characters called kanji, nor have I ever learned to speak Japanese.

No comments: