HIROSHIGE AND VAN GOGH

HIROSHIGE AND VAN GOGH
Read About Van Gogh's Secret Visit to Japan

WELCOME TO BLOGABOUTJAPAN

WELCOME TO BLOGABOUTJAPAN
IT WAS A SPECIAL TIME IN MY LIFETIME

APT WITH TATAMI MATS, a special time in my lifetime in Japan...

APT WITH TATAMI MATS, a special time in my lifetime in Japan...
Watercolor by R.L.Huffstutter

COMPARISONS IN ART

COMPARISONS IN ART
HIROSHIGE'S WORK ON LEFT, VAN GOGH'S ON RIGHT

YOKOHAMA PICTURE SHOW

YOKOHAMA PICTURE SHOW
Shot with my Petri in Yokohama 1962

RICE FIELD IN JAPAN 1962

RICE FIELD IN JAPAN 1962
I took this with my PETRI in Kanagawa Prefecture

Monday, January 2, 2012

1941-Life-Cover

1941-Life-Cover by jdodson_303
1941-Life-Cover, a photo by jdodson_303 on Flickr.

Pan American will always hold a warm spot in my heart and mind, especially in my spirit. It was on a Pan American 707 that I flew to Tokyo, Japan in August of 1961.

We stopped in Hawaii long enough for refueling and long enough to purchase a post card. I recall a quick glance at Diamondhead and then off again. The pilot dipped down shortly after takeoff from Honolulu to give us a look at a small island, Midway Island, where a WWII battle made the difference in World War II.

It was on this flight where the new attendants, costumed in silk kimonos, served us Kirin beer. They handed us small rolls of hot linen for wiping our faces. "Make you feel fresh," the attendant told us. I recall how beautiful the young Japanese woman was. It was then, I believe, that I fell in love with Japan, even before I arrived. Yes, thinking back about the flight 50 years later, I must say with all honesty that it was one of the highlights of my life.

We landed at the old Tokyo International. From the time we took off in the a.m. from San Francisco, I did not see the evening until I was, at last, checked into my new duty station at NAS Atsugi, Japan.

It was a most exciting adventure for a young lad still in his teens. It was certainly one of the experiences of my LIFE.
__________________________________

1941-Life-Cover by jdodson_303

No comments: