HIROSHIGE AND VAN GOGH

HIROSHIGE AND VAN GOGH
Read About Van Gogh's Secret Visit to Japan

WELCOME TO BLOGABOUTJAPAN

WELCOME TO BLOGABOUTJAPAN
IT WAS A SPECIAL TIME IN MY LIFETIME

APT WITH TATAMI MATS, a special time in my lifetime in Japan...

APT WITH TATAMI MATS, a special time in my lifetime in Japan...
Watercolor by R.L.Huffstutter

COMPARISONS IN ART

COMPARISONS IN ART
HIROSHIGE'S WORK ON LEFT, VAN GOGH'S ON RIGHT

YOKOHAMA PICTURE SHOW

YOKOHAMA PICTURE SHOW
Shot with my Petri in Yokohama 1962

RICE FIELD IN JAPAN 1962

RICE FIELD IN JAPAN 1962
I took this with my PETRI in Kanagawa Prefecture

Saturday, October 22, 2011

SOMEDAY I WILL WRITE MY NOVEL ABOUT JAPAN



My blog, BLOGABOUTJAPAN, is an ongoing narrative about my memories of Japan, accompanied by photographs and art I select from various sources.


Followers of this blog about Japan know how fond I am of Japan and how much I admire the Japanese people. I must confess that part of my love for Japan is because of the love I had for a young woman I met in Japan in 1962. It was a love that began at first sight. Sadly, it was a love that became a memory when my ship sailed toward home in late December 1963. Fate did not allow our love to continue, thus the love affair ended with a Sayonara that was my fault, a sayonara that haunts me to this day.


I could continue with this sad and romantic narrative, but it would make no difference--time has been stolen from our lives and one cannot return back in time to make changes that would effect the future. No, it is over and only memories remain. Nevertheless, the joys we shared for such a short time would fill a thick volume of a novel based on our love for the other and the events and travels we shared. Some of our conversations would create many smiles by both Japanese and American readers. We were both so innocent and young, so full of hope for our future together.


It is my goal to write this novel before I exit this world.


My love for the Japanese people is also based on the experiences I enjoyed during my tour of duty. There are so many stories about events and positive encounters I have yet to record. However, time permitting, I will write about them as I recall them. They will become a part of my novel. Some of these positive events will be illustrated with sketches and paintings. Some of the events were too intimate to illustrate, but rest assured they are still very much alive in my mind.


There was so much of Japan I did not see or experience in my tour, events that I would enjoy if I had the luxury of returning to that unique era of the 1960s Japan.


As I rode the trains from Sagami-Otsuka to Yokohama, I did not doze or sleep, I observed all that was happening in post-war Japan.

1 comment:

Koji said...

Robert, you have a wonderful talent not only with a brush but with a pen. I do encourage you to write your novel...